The Harrogate and Knaresborough Liberal Democrats say they are supporting a further People’s Vote so that the public can have a final say on what should happen now that Parliament has rejected Theresa May’s Brexit deal.
The Liberal Democrats Manifesto on Europe says:
We acknowledge the result of the 2016 referendum, which gave the government a mandate to start negotiations to leave – but we believe the final decision should be made by the British people, not by politicians.
Locally the voting on Theresa May’s Brexit deal:
- Julian Smith (Conservative for Skipton & Ripon)
- Nigel Adams (Conservative for Selby & Ainsty)
- Robert Goodwill (Conservative for Scarborough & Whitby)
- Andrew Jones (Conservative for Harrogate & Knaresborough)
- Rishi Sunak (Conservative for Richmond)
- Sir Greg Knight (Conservative for East Yorkshire)
- Rachael Maskell (Labour for York Central)
- Julian Sturdy (Conservative for York Outer)
Judith Rogerson, Liberal Democrat Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Harrogate and Knaresborough said:
This was an enormous and humiliating defeat for the Prime Minister sending her a clear message that Parliament is not going to accept her deal. The Tories have made a mess of Brexit which has become a national embarrassment. Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour party have aided and abetted them from start to finish.
Whatever kind of Brexit we might get, it will leave us poorer and weaker as a country and will not resemble the Brexit that was promised by the Leave campaign in 2016.
The Liberal Democrats’ position is clear and has been ever since the referendum result. There is no possible deal that could be better than the one we already have as members of the EU.
For more than two years the Lib Dems have been fighting to give the people the final say on the deal with an option to remain members of the EU. With Parliament in deadlock the issue of how to resolve Brexit must now be put back to the public with a People’s Vote.