I don’t want to cause any undue alarm here, and I don’t want people to think the world is coming to an end or indeed that Hell is freezing over, but listen: this Thursday at YOLO, The Viper Rooms, there is something I actually want to go to. I’m not kidding. Meridian Dan is a rising star in Grime (old people: Grime = UK Rap. Rap = that music that is like talking, but where you can at least understand the words, although where the word “mother” is only half a word). Y.O.L.O. runs every week at Viper and generally I dismiss it, as, well, it’s just not my cup of tea (if it’s yours then good on you, I suspect my opinion maters little to you anyway). But listen, when it comes to Hip Hop I really do like a bit of Grime and Meridian Dan’s tune “German whip” is fully ridic and I really like it; this kind of PA is what I wish they did more of (as opposed to, lets pick and example entirely at random and say stupid orange big chest people off TV). So yeah, that’s me, Dj Trev, actually recommending you go to Y.O.L.O. tonight to see Meridian Dan live. That is a genuine recommendation, no doubt if you look out the window right now hot snow will be falling up.
Also On Thursday (theoretically tonight when you are reading this, if you are reading it when it get’s posted, unlike some scurrilous people who just use this as “toilet library” reading material, the philistines) there is live music at The Regency Pub with M.O.A.B. This night has only been running for a month yet is already scheduled in to be shifting to Saturday nights soon, so it must be going well. On Friday there is the regular Discount improve night there at The Regency too, a night about which I know little; but the Regency are clearly stepping up their entertainments there so I thought I’d mention it as we need more of this kind of thing in Harrogate, if you ask me. Which no body does.
Back to Thursdays briefly, over in Ripon at the Curzon Theatre there is the Geek movie Quiz. The geek Quiz in Harrogate is a pretty big affair so if you are in Ripon this is your chance to see what it’s all about. If anyone in Ripon reads this, and know of anything else on over there please message me about it, as I like a bit of Ripon and will cheerfully list it!
The Den in Harrogate has got two live shows on this weekend, with Issimo on Friday (In the interests of full disclosure, I have to say I know nothing. About Issimo at anyrate). Whilst on Saturday they have two people who hold a very special place in my heart playing there. It is two guys who are not only incredibly talented, but also fantastically good looking, and effortlessly cool. Biz Denton playes in the afternoon whilst Dj Trev takes care of the evening. Them guys is well fit.
My arch rival / BFF your Dj Pieman has been in touch with me, as he feels like I’ve not been giving him enough column inches. Increasingly the only people these days who seem to want inches of my column are men who are younger than me, but who am I to argue? Pieman runs his pub quiz every Monday at The Alexandra pub, and to be fair he does have a point, I probably should write about it, ‘cos at the moment his “Money Shot Jackpot” stands at £675. I should mention it, as not only is that a lot of money, but “Money shot” is the kind of sniggering lite-innuendo that this page is founded upon (see also :”column inches). Apparently this week they are definitely going to give away some money, with a double chance special! Quite what this means is a mystery to me but Pieman says: “There are four doors left on the prize board. Three have cash prizes. A quarter, half and full jackpot. If the first player gambles and picks the losing door there will be another raffle ticket drawn and someone’s winning big!!” Now that I understand, indeed I am going to actually go to it myself this week, which is yet another one of those moments where you might think hot snow will fall up, as I very rarely go out in Harrogate unless it’s to see me Dj’ing, because I think I am so great. I’m probably the only Dj in town who has a massive ego… Pieman’s quiz has an entry of a mere £2 per player, they feed you some chili and there’s loads of other prizes and it starts 9pm.
On Friday Lure Bar, on the Ginnel, has “Future Boogie” house night there. I work at Lure on Thursdays, which you won’t know unless you’ve ever read one of my articles before; I usually manage to cunningly shoehorn the fact my quiz is there every Thursday from 8pm whilst pretending to talk about another night they run there and no one spots it. “Future Boogie” runs from 9pm til 2am this Friday at Lure.
One of Harrogate’s smaller independent joints Retro Bar is celebrating it’s 10th Birthday with a big party this Saturday. They have Selby Green playing live and I suspect ne’ever do well Dj Ginger Dave will play some wacky 80’s tunes at some stage. This place isn’t for everyone, but then, that’s the appeal of it, they do interesting things there so it’s good for a change, whilst for others it’s basically where they live. It’s harder to find than the average place, but who is looking for average? Worth hunting out!
I mentioned it a few weeks ago, and now it is upon us: this Saturday has Burlesque Without Borders, at The Manhatten Club. I’m not sure if there are any tickets left as they only run a few events a year, but the buzz about these nights is huge and the line up of artists performing is vast. Rather than go into it, I’m just gonna give you the facebook link and you can check it out. AFTER you’ve read the rest of this page though ok? I’m not writing here for the good of my health you know? If a Dj writes something at the internet and no one reads it, he dies a little inside. Nevertheless, as for Burlesque Without Borders, the people who run it are lovely and they raise money (quite a lot so far) for Doctors Without Borders and the Yorkshire Alzheimer’s society. So go to this webpage: https://www.facebook.com/events/546596465453605/ then go to that night.
Further into the future, I am once again reprising my role as the Dj who lives to give, by playing a bunch of free gigs in Knaresborough this year, without charging for my formidable services (and great smell). Saturday 14th June is the Knaresborough Bed Race, and Henshaws are running their very successful “BedFest” alongside it again. Last year this was a really excellent day with some great bands, I did a sort of review about it that you can sort of read here, https://www.harrogate-news.co.uk/2013/06/10/bedfest-2013-knaresborough-dj-trevs-the-glass-is-half-full-half-a-review/ and this year they have decided to let me Dj it in between the bands. Obviously, that is a mistake on their part but I’ll cheerfully jump on that bandwagon; you will be reassured to realize that they didn’t put my name on the flyers, as people don’t do that anymore; I seem to be slipping into the roll of being an embarrassing uncle type who people feel they have to invite, but don’t really want there. I will also be performing in that roll at this years Feva “Picnic in the park” live music day, which is on Saturday 16th August.
We’ve gotten ahead of ourselves, so here is the full list for what is on this week, in a section I like to call “the full list of what is on this week”:
THURSDAY 24th April
- Live music at The Regency Pub with M.O.A.B.
- Ripon, Curzon theatre, Geek movie Quiz.
- Lure Bar, Dj Trev’s Quiz of general crap. Followed by, of his own invention, the Patented “Crap Disco”, with party, 80’s, pop, Soul and shoddiness.
- Viper Rooms Nightclub YOLO R’n’B night with Grime Rapper Meridian Dan live.
- Rehab Nightclub with Dj Tex. “Urban R’n’B”.
- Blues Bar, live music from The Phil Dean Trio, Free entry.
- The Alexandra, Live music, free entry.
- Christies Bar, Pub quiz with Sean McGrath.
FRIDAY 25th April
- Lure Bar, Future Boogie house night.
- Discount Improv at The Regency
- The Den, live music from Issimo
- Zoso Bar, “Vibe” House & Techno night with Andy Winters, Matt Watson, Johnny Kendal, Jake Bartle Cloudbass. Free Entry.
- Rehab Nightclub, “Electro Circus” dance Night.
- The Blues Bar, live music from The Cliff Brown Band, Free entry.
- Moko Lounge nightclub, “Frat house Party”.
SATURDAY 26th April
- Retro Bar, 10th Birthday Party.
- The Manhatten Club: Burlesque Without Borders.
- The Den, live music in the afternoon from Biz Denton, Dj’ing in the evening from Dj Trev.
- The Blues Bar, live music with The Jed Thomas Blues Band.
- Moko Lounge Hed Kandi classics.
- Revolution Bar, front bar Dj Tex (Soul & R’n’B), main room Disco Dave (upfront dance and chart) free entry.
- Rehab nightclub, Rock music upstairs from Your Dj Pieman, Downstairs, dance music with Dj Wayne & James. Free entry.
- Vipers Rooms Nightclub Dj Angel Lee & The Legendary Neil Jaques playing tunes for upfront clubbing upstairs, Harvey Westwood downstairs.
- Christies Pub, Sean McGrath’s Cheesy disco, free entry.
SUNDAY 27th April
- Blues Bar, live music from Pink Peg Slax 3pm, Skinny Living 5pm, Outside South 6pm, Rob Reynolds 9pm.
- Hales Pub, live acoustic night with Angelina Ballerina and residents.
- Rehab Bar & Club, Dj Trev, playing not very good records, not very goodly.
- The Alexandra Pub, Live music at the Sunday Soundcheck acoustic night. Free entry.
- Viper Room’s Nightclub, Peek-a-Boo Urban night.
- Fat Badger, Cold Bath Road, Pub Quiz.
MONDAY 28TH April
- The Alexandra Pub Quiz, with your Dj Pieman.
- The Harlow Inn, Otley road, Pub Quiz.
- So! Bar, Otley Road, Pub Quiz.
- Zoso Bar, Dj Max & Rum Chaser, house music.
- Blues Bar, fully hosted fully entertaining open mic session, free entry.
- Moko Lounge nightclub, Karaoke.
TUESDAY 29th April
- Zoso Bar, Union Street, Electro Jam, open decks sesh.
- The Tap n’ Spile pub, folk night.
- Pitcher & Piano Re:Session cheap drinks night.
- The Blues Bar, acoustic session, Free entry.
- Moko Lounge Nightclub, “Skint” main room upfront dance and electro, VIP Room Rock Box Rock night Dj Jaye Selway.
- Revolution Bar, “Back to Rev’s” House Night, Dj’s Tex & Sixus.
- Coach and Horses Pie and Peas night with proceeds to Martin’s House Children’s Hospice.
WEDNESDAYS 30th April
- The Harlow Pub “Midweek Madness” pub quiz with Dj Tim Paul.
- Pitcher & Piano Quiz night from 8pm. Free for new teams or £1.50 PP.
- The Regency Pub, big screen quiz.
- Rehab nightclub, your Dj Pieman’s “Midweek Madness” playing party music.
- The Blues Bar, live music from the Paul Middleton Angst band .
The exact same bit of SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION I used the week before last week AND the week before AND aaaaand the week before that. Pretty much since the dawn of time actually. I didn’t bother with it last week but not one noticed. Let’s face it, you’ve stopped reading already.
Should you wish to listen to some of my actual Dj’ing from the comfort of your own home, you can do that at Mixcloud.com/djtrevuk but really I’d much rather you can out and partied, not for my financial gain you understand, but for your emotional wellbeing.
Thanks for reading, drink responsibly and don’t be loose with your affections.
Trev x x x