Local charity Henshaws Society for Blind People is looking to add to its Trustee Board by recruiting new Directors for its Trustee Company.
The charity, which celebrated its 175th anniversary last year, has a current Trustee Board of seven volunteers, who have all supported Henshaws for a number of years. We have recently formed a Company to act as sole Trustee of the Charity and are now in a position to expand our Trustee Board. We are looking for up to five new members, with a corporate background, to help to expand the skills represented on the Board and take Henshaws forward in to an exciting new era.
Henshaws provide expert support, advice and training to people affected by sight loss and other disabilities. They have a specialist further education College in Harrogate, an Arts & Crafts Centre in Harrogate and Resource Centres in Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle.
Their vision is to enable people with sight loss and other disabilities to build the skills and independence they need, to achieve the future they want. Independence is at the core of all their services, whether it be their residential care, courses and training or rehabilitation service.
Henshaws are looking for Non-executive Directors who can:
- Expand on the Board’s current skill set and bring their own experience to benefit the organisation
- Expand on the existing fundraising methods and build relationships with potential corporate donors
- Network and gain support for the organisation
Henshaws Chairman, Howard Cockeram, has been chair for five years and welcomes the prospect of getting some new faces on the team;
Howard Cockeram said:
We’re really looking forward to getting some new perspective on our activity at Henshaws and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
We would be particularly interested to recruit people with experience in special needs further education, risk management, volunteering, residential and community care, human resources, fundraising and marketing.
If you’re passionate about supporting disabled people then we want to hear from you!
[sam id=”4″ codes=”true”]
Prospective candidates should:
- Be enthusiastic and have an interest in services for disabled people
- Be willing to take an active role in the strategic direction of the Society
- Be confident dealing with people working at an executive level
- Be able to attend Board meetings, usually held in Manchester, 6 times a year and in addition commit up to 10 hours per month to read papers, prepare for meetings, attend training etc.
Candidates who have worked in the sight loss or disability sector will be particularly welcome and the deadline for applications is 26th April.
If you have any questions about the role of Non- executive Director or would like to be involved on a less formal basis please contact us on: Recruitment@henshaws.org.uk
If you would like to find out more about Henshaws then please go to www.henshaws.org.uk