As the Olympic torch travels around the country before the opening ceremony in London on 27 July, the Harrogate district is getting ready to welcome the relay and its torch bearers on the afternoon of Tuesday, 19 June.
Four working groups have been set up in each of the areas the torch will visit members have been working hard to put on a true ‘Yorkshire’ welcome. The full programmes are set out below.
The relay is an important part of the build-up to London 2012, bringing people across the UK together to celebrate the spirit of the Games. In the months leading up to the opening ceremony, the relay will connect people and places, young people to sport and the UK to the rest of the world.
Support for the torch so far on its journey has been outstanding and we are expecting thousands to line the streets. We have also invited every school in the area to get involved in this event.
Timings of the torch
If all goes according to plan, the timings are as follows:
- Start – Toyota garage outside Knaresborough – 1.33pm
- Knaresborough High Street – 1.51pm
- Entrance to Mother Shiptons – 2.03pm
- Starbeck High Street – 2.07pm
- Empress Roundabout – 2.28pm
- Prince of Wales Roundabout – 2.39pm
- Cenotaph – Harrogate – 2.48pm
- Leaves Harrogate – Duchy Road – 2.52pm
- Fountains Abbey – 3.23pm rest break and time adjustment stop
- Leaves at 4.00pm
- Start Ripon junction of Studley Road and Mallorie Park Drive – 4.11pm
- Market Square – Ripon – 4.25pm
- Ripon Cathedral – 4.30pm
- Leaves Ripon – Rotary Way – 4.36pm