Harrogate’s prospective Ukip borough councillors have pledged to put the town’s International Centre in the hands of the private sector if they are elected in sufficient numbers in May’s local polls.
The party has also vowed to take back control of the highways from North Yorkshire County Council, and reverse the Conservative-led council’s plans to build thousands of new homes in the district.
- Scrapping plans to relocate the council to a new headquarters at a cost of £9 million to the tax payer
- Introducing incentives to encourage more shoppers to Harrogate, Knaresborough and Ripon
- Campaigning against the proposed Allerton Park incinerator
- Promoting and supporting economic growth
- Preserving the District’s unique character
- Fighting all wind farm applications
- Scaling back the number of new homes planned for the District
- Re-examining a by-pass for Harrogate and switching off traffic lights on the town’s Skipton Road for a trial period.
Ukip County Councillor David Simister – who won the party’s first seat in last May’s North Yorkshire County Council elections – said: We are setting out our stall well ahead of Mays’ election with a raft of policies aimed at supporting local businesses, saving the tax payer money and preserving the character of the district.
The international centre is losing money hand over fist and this can’t be allowed to continue. It must be put into the hands of the private sector and divorced from council interference.
Instead of driving shoppers away from the town centre by hiking up parking charges, we want to introduce incentives to encourage people to come to shop in Harrogate Ripon and Knaresborough.
Over the next few years almost 5,000 new houses are planned for Harrogate and Knaresborough.
However, we must provide affordable homes throughout the district to those from the district who need them, be they young people, key workers or those who want to get a foot on the housing ladder.
Further information about Ukip’s District Council campaign can be found on its website at www.ukipharrogate.org