A major resurfacing programme of Harrogate roads by North Yorkshire County Council is scheduled to start in July. The schemes, costing £1.1m, will target key, heavily-trafficked routes that require repair.
The work is part of an extensive programme of repairs and preventative work that will see total investment of £9.85m in highways in the Harrogate district during 2018/19.
This includes the spring surface dressing programme, which saw 75 miles of road treated at a cost of £4m. In addition to routine maintenance carried out throughout the year, the County Council has been awarded extra government funding to repair potholes, with approximately £1.2m of this being allocated to Harrogate district. This patching work will continue during the summer.
The County Council also continues to deliver schemes to address congestion, with spending of about £1.5m planned on improvements at locations such as Bond End and Otley Road funded through bids to the government’s National Productivity Investment Fund.
County Councillor Don Mackenzie, Executive Member for Highways, said:
The extent of this resurfacing and the other work in the Harrogate area is really positive and demonstrates the commitment of the County Council to respond to concerns raised by the public about the current condition of the public highway network while effectively planning long-term prevention work to minimise future deterioration.
The roads to be resurfaced are:
- Penny Pot Lane – resurfacing scheduled to take place between 16 July and 3 August; work to be done between 7.30am and 5pm.
- Skipton Road, Empress Roundabout to Woodfield Road – 23 July to 24 August, 7pm and midnight.
- Dragon Road, phase one – 6 August to 10 August, 9am to 3pm.
- Dragon Road, phase two – 28 August to 3 September, 7pm to midnight.
- Bower Road – 4 September to 8 September, 7pm to midnight.
- Skipton Road West, phase one – 2, 9 and 16 September, 4pm to midnight.
- Skipton Road West, phase two – 10 September to 15 September, 7pm to midnight.
Every effort will be made to minimise disruption for road users during these works.
Resurfacing on Otley Road and Beckwith Road is also planned for this year. Dates for those schemes will be confirmed as soon as current works associated with water mains renewals by Yorkshire Water are concluded.