The shortlist for each of the eleven categories in the Harrogate Hospitality and Tourism Awards have been announced.
Category sponsors and organisers were in town this week to meet some of the nominees after having deliberated long and hard over some very tough decisions because of the excellent quality of the nominations again this year with over 1500 received in total – an awards record.
Celebrating their tenth year, the awards are organised and hosted by Destination Harrogate, the association of many hotels of the town.
David Ritson, of Destination Harrogate, added:
This is our tenth year anniversary for these awards and it is clear from the number of entries we received again this year, that these awards have truly captured the imagination of those working in, or affected by hospitality and tourism, and shows what a major industry it is for the town.
As the quality of the votes improves we have been keen to go and see these ‘stars’ in action and it is great to see their faces when they realise their hard work has been appreciated.
Harrogate relies heavily on both business and leisure tourism and everyone involved in the chain of visitor service delivery play their part in continuing to deliver the excellent standards of service and hospitality associated with Harrogate.
Simon Cotton also of Destination Harrogate commented:
The judges were once again impressed by the level and quality of entries this year and it took a lot of deliberating to decide who would make the short list.
There were a lot of categories where it was really hard to have to leave out some really fantastic entries and I only hope that those who haven’t made it this year to the short list will try again next year.
Winners in each category are still to be decided and to ensure we have the best candidates shortlisted several sponsors will be visiting the nominees at their place of work in coming weeks to see them in action and possibly even talk to them about their jobs.
Some however will be doing this ‘undercover’, so watch out nominees as there’s still a lot to play for!
There is no doubt that the awards night on Monday 4 June will once again be a quick sell out as it has proved to be year after year and with it being a special one, our tenth year, I know it’s going to a very special party to celebrate all the success that it has been in the past.
The judging panels’ shortlists for each category are:
Waiter/Waitress of the Year – sponsored by Harrogate Spring Water
- Brogan Russell – West Park hotel
- Simon Barker – Balterzens
- Anita Liddell – The Old Swan hotel
- Matthew Weller – ASK Italian
- Toby Bull – Lockwoods
Bar Person of the Year – sponsored by Matthew Clark
- Chloe Thompson– Hales Bar
- Matthew ‘Max’ Hall – The Den
- Jaks Gardner – The Fat Badger
- Neil Young – Crowne Plaza hotel
- Dan Glover – Coach & Horses
Chef of the Year – sponsored by Sykes House Farm
- Murray Wilson – Horto
- Bethany Haresign – The Wild Plum
- Damien – Deanos Graze & Grill
- Oli Barta – William and Victoria
- Michael Carr – Restaurant 92
Team of the Year – sponsored by Platinum Print
- Events Team at the Majestic hotel
- Tilly Peppers
- La Feria
- William & Victoria’s
- Crackerjack BBQ
Newcomer of the Year – sponsored by Harrogate College
- Starling Independent Beer and Coffee House
- Yorkshire Appetite Food Tours
- The Ivy
- Gino’s Harrogate
Unsung Hero – sponsored by Bidfood
- Kita Hudson, Last Post
- Terri Cole, Old Swan Hotel
- Julie Wells, Cedar Court Hotel
- St Michaels Volunteer Team
- Harrogate Borough Council Parks & Gardens Team
Best Achievement of the Year – sponsored by Blueline Taxis
- Transdev – Harrogate Bus Company
- Harrogate In Bloom
- Yorkshire Heart Vineyard
- Rudding Park Spa
Outstanding Customer Service – Slingsby
- Mykonos Bar & Grill
- Laura Fell – West Park hotel
- Tilly Peppers
- Dejan ‘Deni’ Nikusevski – William & Victoria’s
- Tracey Latimer – The Yorkshire Hotel
Restaurant of the Year – sponsored by Visit Harrogate
- The Ivy
- Konak Meze
- Restaurant 92
Bar of the Year – sponsored by Timothy Taylor’s
- Hales Bar
- Last Post
- Fat Badger
- The winner of this special Award is to be announced on the night.
If you would like to come and support those shortlisted, tickets are available through Linda Bradley
Tel 01423 858585 or email firstname.lastname@example.org costing £60 per person.