Following a number of two-in-one burglaries around the county, North Yorkshire Police are warning residents to be vigilant.
A two-in-one burglary occurs when criminals break into your home with the intention of taking the keys to your car so they can steal it.
Taking some simple crime prevention measures can deter thieves from targeting your homes and vehicles.
High-performance vehicles tend to be targeted, but if criminals spot an opportunity any vehicle is under threat of being stolen.
Officers are offering the following advice to homeowners, to ensure that they don’t fall victim to two-in-one burglars:
- Always keep car keys well out of sight – don’t leave them on view near windows or doors.
- Ensure your home is well-lit, install security lighting if possible.
- Park your car in a garage or driveway, if you have one, if not park in well-lit areas.
- Fit a burglar alarm or steering lock to your vehicle.
- Consider fitting a tracking device to your car, so it can be traced if stolen.
- Make your home secure – lock all windows and doors even when at home and don’t leave ladders or garden tools lying around (thieves can use these to get into your home).