The Harrogate International Partnerships and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission hosted an ANZAC ceremony on 24 April 2022 at the Commonwealth War graves, Stonefall Cemetery in Harrogate.
The event was to remember the 120 airmen, at their final resting place, from New Zealand and Australia who gave their young lives in the service of their country and the Commonwealth during World War II.
This is the first ANZAC ceremony in Harrogate, and they thanks for the ultimate sacrifice made by the young men who now lie together. The ceremony was dedicated to building a world where there is justice and peace for all people in every corner of our world.
In attendance were:
- The Mayor of Harrogate, Trevor Chapman
- Member of Parliament for Harrogate & Knaresborough Andrew Jones
- Commander Matthew Radford – Royal Australian Navy
- Sub Leut. Andrew Chisholm – Royal New Zealand Navy
- Squadron Leader Geoff Dickson – Royal Air Force
- Lieut Col. Michael Mulligan – US Air Force
- Sgt. David Lund – North Yorkshire Constabulary
- Kate Spencer – On behalf of the New Zealand High Commission
- Mike Comerford – The Royal British Legion
- Dennis Richards – Chairman of Harrogate International Partnerships