Harrogate Theatre Choir (“HTC”) celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2020 with the release of its debut album “BINGE”.
The choir had chosen MIND in Harrogate District as their charity for 2020/21 and it was decided that £5.00 from every CD sold would go to this worthy charity. MIND do such worthwhile work supporting people who are affected by mental health issues and their work has proved to be particularly pertinent this year, given that we are living through the Covid-19 pandemic. People are experiencing issues that we have never known before.
- Harrogate Theatre Choir was founded in 2010.
- HTC is the longest established Theatre Choir in the UK.
- HTC is a mixed SATB choir
- Musical Director is Catherine Field-Leather
- HTC put on their own concerts in Harrogate and surrounding areas and are also available for private functions
- Debut album release date 3 October 2020
- Their chosen charity or 2020/21 is MIND in Harrogate District
- To date, £750 from CD sales, has been raised for MIND
Following excellent CD sales, HTC is delighted to hand over the first £750 to MIND in Harrogate District and hope to be able to hand over more sums like this during 2021!
Mike Gibbs, Chair of MIND in Harrogate District, continues the story:
The charity sector is currently facing a crisis in funding following the Covid 19 pandemic. This remains the case for Mind in Harrogate District. However, we look for the local community to rally round and help us keep our services running. We are delighted that Harrogate Theatre Choir has released their CD BINGE where Mind in Harrogate District will receive £5 for every CD sold. The CDs are selling well and raising valuable funding for our service. We hope the people of Harrogate continue buying the CD to help us get through this difficult time.
Over the last few months, we have been able to help those in the community with mental health issues by making over 100 calls a week to ensure contact with them and that they are staying safe. In addition, we are providing Zoom music sessions to our service users. We have recently started our befriending service which should provide valuable comfort to those requiring this service through 2021. We have recently appointed a “community connector” to promote and ensure those in need are signposted to the right service.
The HTC story:
- HTC is a vibrant and strong 40+ choir, with a repertoire that covers a wide range of songs from the West End, Broadway and Hollywood.
- The album appeals to all musical theatre fans and many more besides for the sheer entertainment value it offers. The track list showcases the trademark 4-part harmonies that Harrogate Theatre Choir is known for. Their versatility also shines through with full choir performances, small ensembles and solos.
- “Your choir is fantastic, amazing…and so entertaining! We enjoyed every single minute..every song…every note! We didn’t want it to end.” Mr and Mrs H
- It is well known that singing is good for your mental health and, since the album was recorded in March 2020 – just before the country went into lockdown – members of HTC have had to find different ways of continuing to make music together. Video based rehearsals have become the norm and they have produced a whole series of ‘Self-Isolated” performances on Facebook and YouTube for their fans and supporters. All this has been possible under the guidance of their brilliant and creative Musical Director, Catherine Field-Leather.
- Instead of the planned birthday celebrations, the album had a quiet ‘socially distanced’ launch at The Yorkshire Hotel, Harrogate in October 2020. Unfortunately, HTC was unable to perform at any of its planned concerts in 2020 but, since the launch, Mind in Harrogate District and HTC have both been making plenty of noise about it on social media and, despite the absence of live performances, over 130 CDs have been sold to date.
- The CD is available through the Harrogate Theatre Choir website, with the download being available on Amazon Music and iTunes. The CD will, of course, be available to buy at future concerts.
Super Trooper from Mamma Mia
Moon River from Breakfast Tiffany’s
Seasons of Love from Rent
Lullaby Of Birdland by George Shearing
With You from Ghost
Tell Me It’s Not True from Blood Brothers
Pie Jesu from Requiem
City of Stars from La La Land
Send in the Clowns from A Little Night Music
A Million Dreams from The Greatest Showman
He’s My Boy from Everybody’s Talking About Jamie
Bethlehem from Martin Guerre
I Dreamed A Dream from Les Misérables
Bring Him Home from Les Misérables
At The End of The Day from Les Misérables
Castle on A Cloud from Les Misérables
Do You Hear the People Sing from Les Misérables