Harrogate Town 2 – 0 Gainsborough Trinity

25 March 2018

Harrogate Town kept up their title challenge with a workmanlike victory over Gainsborough Trinity.

Town’s starting line up showed one change, with Ben Parker regaining the number three shirt because of Louis Swain’s hamstring problem.

A series of early crosses pushed Trinity back amd Mark Beck headed a Joe Leesley centre wide of the target.

Dom Knowles was the first to test visiting keeper,Henrich Ravas,after he had broken down the middle, but his shot lacked power.

Trinity began to find their feet and good work between Shane Clarke and Nicky Walker almost created an opening for Ben Hinchcliffe, but his run was halted on the edge of the area by the twin barriers of Liam Kitching and John McCombe.

Next,James Belshaw had to be alert to beat out a first time volley from Nathan Jarman as he connected with Walker’s cross.

After eighteen minutes, it was Town who took the lead when Knowles directed a George Thomson through ball into the path of Jack Emmett who angled a powerful drive past Ravas into the far corner.

Havas, then had to save from Knowles at the foot of the post,but it was Trinity who finished the half on the offensive.

Belshaw tipped an Hinchcliffe shot over, and the Leesley cleared a Walker corner off the line, before Jordan Richards saw a goalbound shot cannon off Parker.

Just after the break, Town almost doubled their lead when Thomson cut in from the right, and his left footed shot came back off the inside of the upright and just evaded Leesley.

Trinity were still well in the game,and it took a brilliant double save from Belshaw to preserve their lead.

Firstly, he parried Jarman’s fierce twentyfive yard drive and then recovered quickly to prevent Hinchcliffe netting the rebound.

A Josh Falkingham foul on Craig King, saw Belshaw tip King’s free kick over the top,but it was Town who struck the decisive blow.

On sixtysix minutes, Warren Burrell broke down the right and Mark Beck was on hand to slide in his low cross from close range.

Unfortunately, Town’s joy at their seventh consecutive home victory, was tempered by the news that Salford City had fought back from four nil down to snatch a draw at Kidderminster.

Belshaw,Burrell,Parker,Falkingham(c),Kitching,McCombe,Thomson(Agnew 82),Emmett,Beck,Knowles(Wright 76),Leesley(Thewlis 79).
Unused subs,Cracknell,Fallowfield. Man of the Match Emmett Att.1179
Scorers,Emmett 18,Beck 66 Bookings nil
Havas,Jacklin,Fleming,Clarke,Beatson,Stainfield,Richards(Davie 68),King,Jarman(c),Hinchcliffe(Simmonds 74),Walker.
Unused subs,Evans,Russell,Storey. Bookings nil
Referee,Paul Brown.
By John Harrison.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.



Go toTop