At its meeting on Saturday 31 May 2014, Harrogate Borough Council’s ruling Conservative Group elected Councillor Richard Cooper to replace Councillor Anthony Alton as its Leader, while Councillor Michael Harrison will become Deputy Leader.
The names of both councillors will be submitted by the Group to be elected Leader and Deputy Leader of the Council at the Annual Council meeting on Thursday 12th June 2014.
Councillor Richard Cooper said: We are entering different times with different challenges.
We have started the consultation phase on the Council’s future office accommodation strategy which could deliver huge savings for local council tax payers.
The council’s request for a suspension of the Sites and Policies Development Plan Document Public Examination has been rejected by the Planning Inspector, and therefore we need fresh ideas as we develop a new Local Plan.
My politics are simple. I believe in communities, partnerships and solutions. I want to work with people, to take them with me, to listen and to persuade.
I want to lead a Council which, although occasional disagreements and misunderstandings may occur, people know is on their side.
I intend to be a Leader who people see out and about, who speaks to local groups and hears what they say and one who takes the message of what our area is seeking to achieve beyond the confines of the Council offices.
I will do my best for the people of this fine district.
Councillor Cooper has also selected a Cabinet to run the council – the new positions are:
- Richard Cooper – Leader of the Council and Cabinet Member for Finance
- Michael Harrison – Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Planning and Economic Development
- Phil Ireland – Cabinet Member for Environment, Transport & External Affairs
- Mike Chambers – Cabinet Member for Housing
- Margaret Atkinson – Cabinet Member for Safer Communities
- Pat Jones – Cabinet Member for Cultural Services