Harrogate Town

Afc Telford United 0 – Harrogate Town 1

8 September 2013

In a feisty encounter at the New Bucks Head Stadium, Town gained their first ever points at Telford, courtesy of Craig Nelthorpe’s second half goal.

An even start saw Town’s Anton Brown’s lob create an opening for Chris Hall who shot weakly at Ryan Young.

Telford,roared on by a large partisan crowd,countered strongly.

Westley Baynes forced Matt Bloomer to clear over his own bar and Sean Clancy brought a full length save from Craig MacGillivray.

Barnes then rattled Town’s upright as the Bucks piled on the pressure.

On 16 minutes,Bloomer and Shane Killock suffered an alarming clash of heads, which left both players cut.Bloomer had to be replaced by Dwayne Samuels, but Killock soldiered on with a bandaged head.

The defining moment of the match came after 38 minutes when Telford’s Charlie Barnett flattened Ashley Worsfold with a reckless,over the ball tackle, which earned him a straight red from Referee John Brooks. Town spurned a chance to take a half time lead when Worsfold touched on Adam Bolder’s corner to Michael Woods,who blazed well over.

Adam Farrell’s bicycle kick from Matthew McGinn’s long throw flew over Town’s bar, but on 54 minutes,Town took the lead.

Two minutes earlier,Nelthorpe had fired a curler over the bar, but Telford were undone when Bolder’s shot came back off the upright and Nelthorpe followed up from close range.

The Buck’s ten men took the game to Town and Tony Gray rounded Leigh Franks, but shot over with only MacGillivray to beat.

Samuels and Franks earned yellow cards in a half way line melee and as full time approached, both sides squandered chances to score.

United’s Simon Grand and Neil Byrne went close with headers and Sub Andy Owen’s deflected shot came back off the post.

Not that Town were idle, with Dave Merris testing Young from 30 yards and Hall shooting against the keeper when clean through.

Town held on through four minutes of stoppage time, although Nelthorpe could have put the game to bed when he shot wide from the half way line with the keeper stranded upfield.

Town 1 MacGillivray, 2 Bloomer ( Samuels 20 mins), 3 Merris, 4 Bolder (Nowakowski 77), 5 Franks, 6 Killock (c), 7 Worsfold, 8 Brown, 9 Hall, 10 Woods (Hardy 67), 11 Nelthorpe.

Unused subs 12 Rowe, 14 Wright.

Scorer Nelthorpe 54 mins, Bookings Samuels,Franks.

Att 1431

1 Comment

  1. Errors in your report;
    Russell Benjamin was the Telford man sent off.
    Simon Grand was the player booked after reacting to Samuels

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.



Go toTop