Harrogate Town

Harrogate Town 1 – 2 FC Halifax Town

27 December 2018

Christmas cheer was in short supply at Wetherby Road as F C Halifax Town came from behind to inflict Harrogate’s second defeat of the holiday season.

Simon Weaver juggled his forces after Saturday’s defeat at Eastleigh,with Michael Woods and Jack Muldoon replacing, Jack Emmett and George Thomson respectively.

In front of a large holiday crowd Harrogate made the early running,and visiting keeper, Sam Johnson was soon in action saving from Dom Knowles at the foot of the post.

The Shaymen hit back when a thirty yard drive from James Ferry forced James Belshaw into a diving save which the Town defence scrambled clear.

However, Town were not to be denied in spite of Halifax packing their defence, and Muldoon had a shot diverted for a corner before Callum Howe went close twice,after Woods and Joe Leesley had supplied inviting crosses.

Josh Falkingham was next into the act, when he lashed an Halifax clearance from a Leesley corner just past the upright.

Woods was having a fine game on Harrogate’s right flank and he almost broke the deadlock when an audacious shot with the outside of his right boot almost crept in at the far post.

But with half an hour gone, Halifax fired a warning shot across Town’s bows when the dangerous,Matty Kosylo, played in Dayle Southwell and it took an excellent save from the alert Belshaw to prevent Town going behind.

Nine minutes before the break,the long awaited Town goal arrived after Lloyd Kerry was brought down by Nathan Clarke.

The Shaymen were unable to deal with Leesley’s free kick into the area and Howe drove in from close range for his seventh goal of the season.

Town kept up the pressure and Liam Kitching headed a perfectly weighted Woods centre at Johnson,before soon afterwards, heading a Muldoon cross over the bar.

Halifax started the second half on the front foot and were level after fiftysix minutes.

Belshaw turned a Southwell shot at goal for a corner and Clarke stole in at the far post to head the equaliser although there were two defenders on the goal line.

Town’s form from the first half appeared to have deserted them and Halifax began to control the game.

Southwell blazed wildly over Town’s bar and Kosylo was well off target after a mazy run through Town’s defence.

The Wetherby Roaders had a penalty shout turned down after a Muldoon shot appeared to strike an Halifax defender and Kitching headed a Leesley centre across goal, but just as the Town faithful were preparing for a disappointing draw, disaster struck!

On eightyeight minutes Southwell cut in from the right and beat Belshaw with with a low drive into the far corner to put the result beyond doubt.

Belshaw,Fallowfield,Falkingham,Howe,Burrell,Knowles(Williams 84),Leesley,Kery,Muldoon(Emmett 80),Kitching,Woods(Beck 61).
Unused subs,Thomson,Cracknell.   Booked Kerry, Man of the Match Howe.
Scorer Howe 36
Johnson,Duckworth,Sellers,Clarke,Brown,Kosylo,Southwell,Odelusi(Tomlinson 45),Preston,Ferry,Maher.
Unused subs,Staunton,Edwards,Rowley,McLeod.      Att.2310 (424 away)
Scorers,Clarke 55,Southwell 88.
Referee D Middleton
By John Harrison,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.



Go toTop