Harrogate Railway 5-2 Campion AFC

2 November 2016

Railway dominated the first 45 minutes, helped by the sending off of Campion’s Daniel Brown during the first half.

Railway went in at half time 2-0 up with a well-taken goal by Stephen Bromley for the first and an attempted clearance ricocheted off Paul Beesley for the second.

Bromley was then flipped into the air by a poorly timed challenge that saw the Brown see a straight red.

Railway could have gone in five, six or seven ahead at half time, the display was that dominant with plenty of chances falling to the home side even before the sending off.

In the second half, Campion came out in a determined mood and were extremely well organized.

But it was Railway that hit the back of the net next getting their third, with Fraser Hansen scoring after Stephen Bromley’s shot was saved.

3-0 to Railway and they were looking good to progress to the next round of the League Cup.

Then the fight back by Campion.

Goals by Andrew Tasker and then Josh Cook meant that the score was 3-2 and Railway needed to switch back on. The visitors were playing with confidence and looked dangerous when in attack.

With 13 minutes remaining, another goal by the visitors could have sent the cup-tie into an extra 30 minutes.

Railway changed gear and Fraser Hansen sent in an accurate shot to beat the Campion ‘keeper and make the tie safe at 4-2 with only ten minutes left on the clock.

Hansen also had a hand in Railway’s fifth and last goal of the evening.

A direct run from midway in the Campion half, saw his diagonal ball chased down by both Brandon Deane (who had just come on for Stephen Bromley) and by Dan Barrett.

John Lamb, the Campion keeper tried to get across to the ball, but it was Barrett who got there first to slot the ball home on the far post and effectively seal the victory for the hosts.

There were still four minutes of time to go and Brandon Deane nearly got on the end of a through ball, only for the keeper to get there first and Brandon to spectacularly go flying over the stopper.

A solitary minute of injury time was added by the referee and Railway progressed into the next round of the NCEL League Cup with a convincing win.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Go toTop