football harrogate

Harrogate Town 0 – 2 Kidderminster Harriers

26 October 2016

In a game that in many ways mirrored the F A Cup defeat by Halifax, Town slipped to their fourth consecutive defeat with a 2-0 loss to Kidderminster Harriers.

Simon Weaver started the game with Saturday’s line up, but Simon Ainge and Warren Burrell were recalled to the subs bench.

An early break down the left from Lewis Turner created a chance for Marcus Day who forced a save from Sam Hornby at the far post. Shortly afterwards, Hornby was again in action as Jordan Robertson hooked a shot goalwards following a run from Joe Colbeck.

The visitors were playing some good,one touch football and Arthur Gnahoua broke down the left and pulled back for Liam Truslove to shoot wide of the upright.

However, Town were keeping up the pressure with Hornby having to save from Joe Leesley, and Robertson shooting over from the edge of the area.

The Kiddies threatened with a couple of free kicks; firstly James McQuilkin fired well over from thirty yards and then Liam Truslove’s effort hit the underside of the crossbar, hit Peter Crook and luckily for Town rebounded wide of the goal.

On the half hour,Town’s luck deserted them when Truslove picked up a clearance twenty yards out and his goal-bound shot took a deflection to give Kidderminster the lead.

Worse was to follow for Town,when shortly before the break a reckless,over the top challenge from Andy Gascoigne on Ryan Croasdale earned him a straight red from referee,Paul Marsden.

At half time, Brooksby and Burrell replaced, Robertson and Leesley and Town’s ten men began to play with more fluidity and purpose.

A strong run from Ben Parker found Day in space,but he sliced his shot wide of the near post.

A couple of shots from the dangerous Gnahoua caused Town concern; the first flashed wide of the upright and Crook made a superb diving save to beat out the second.

Town pushed hard for an equaliser and Tom Platt’s excellent ball out of defence found Colbeck whose pass left Brooksby clear,but he spurned the opportunity to pull the trigger and the ball fell to Day who was quickly blocked.

Andi Thanoj, who was working hard in midfield, saw his free kick scrambled away,but then a through ball saw Hornby race of his line and slice his clearance to Day.

Day’s low shot from thirtyfive yards outpaced the desperately back pedalling defenders,but hit the outside of the upright to save Hornby’s blushes.

At the other end, Town had a let off when the unmarked, Jordan Tunnicliffe, headed over an open goal from close range.

Unfortunately,as against Halifax,as full time approached,Crook elected to push forward to join the attack,with the inevitable result.A clearance found sub, Andre Brown, near the halfway line and his cross shot from near the dugouts entered the empty net,to put the match beyond Town.

Next Saturday,Town face another difficult match when Darlington 1883,are the visitors.

1 Crook, 2 Colbeck (c), 3 Turner, 4 Platt, 5 Shiels, 6 Parker(Ainge 76), 7 Thanoj, 8 Gascoigne,9 Day, 10 Robertson (Brooksby 45), 11 Leesley (Burrell 45).

Unused subs, 15 Webb-Foster, 18 Stewart. Sent off Gascoigne, Booked Turner, Brooksby. Att.728
Town, Man of the Match,Marcus Day.

Report by John Harrison.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Go toTop