Octoberfest for Harrogate Railway

Please share the news

Paul Beesley returned to the sideline, having missed the previous match due to concussion.

His line-up featured a new face, Toby Lees who had signed mid-week from neighbours Town. Simon Parkes was absent, having moved in the other direction.

So, with Railway sporting a new look defence, the NCEL Premier League game kicked off at 3pm on a very pleasant Saturday afternoon in October.

The team settled well into the first 15 minutes of the game, having their fair share of the possession and holding their hosts who were third in the league at arms length.

On 20 minutes, the referee awarded a free kick outside of the Railway penalty box. Thackley played the ball into the area and Ben Joyce rose to guide it into the net with a powerful header. The hosts were one goal to the good.


Thackley defender gets a header in as Greg Kidd pulls out from the challenge.
Thackley defender gets a header in as Greg Kidd pulls out from the challenge.


Seven minutes later and it was that man, Ben Joyce again who doubled Thackley’s lead with a deflected shot past Adam Birkenshaw, also making his debut in goal for the Rail.

Harrogate Railway’s best chance of the half saw captain, Jordan Hendrie cross the ball to Brandon Deane, but his header went agonisingly wide of the post and the teams walked off at half time with Thackley leading 2-0.

The second half saw Railway pushing forward in numbers and pressing for a way back into the game.

Paul Beesley substituted the recent arrival Lewis Riley to bring on Luca Baravelli, who has stepped up from our youth team in the past couple of games.

The Rail were forced into a second substitution, when the ever-dangerous Dan Barrett limped off with a knee injury; Bradley Sharrocks taking his place.

Finally, the very lively Brandon Deane was replaced by Stephen Bromley to try and offer something different in the Harrogate Railway attack.




On 52 minutes, the Locomotives won a corner on the Thackley right. Ryan Sharrocks delivered a brilliant in-swinging ball.

Steve Bromley rose, but the ball went just over his head. Greg Kidd had also climbed high above his marker and got a strong head to the ball, sending it into the top left corner of the Thackley goal, leaving the keeper with no chance of making the save.

2-1 to the hosts and The Rail were now pushing to get the equaliser.

Despite a number of half chances, time was again against Harrogate Railway, the final whistle blew and they had failed to find a second goal.

The rebuilding process has started for the new manager and we will surely see a number of new faces over the coming weeks as Harrogate Railway continue to strive for improved results and to climb the table.

Thackley 1-2 Harrogate Railway

You may also like

Please share the news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *