“Invisible monster” carbon monoxide poem wins Ashville Junior school pupil award and HoC visit

A Harrogate schoolgirl’s poem about the dangers of carbon monoxide has won a gas safety competition.

Eleanor Grattoni-May was one of hundreds of youngsters to enter the Gas Network’s contest with the aim of raising awareness nationally of the perils posed by the odourless gas.

Eleanor, a pupil at Ashville Junior , whose poem “The Invisible Monster” clinched her the northern area title, travelled to the Houses of Parliament to receive her prize from Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman.

The eight-year-old, was presented with a glass trophy and two cheques – £150 for herself and £250 for her school.

Following the presentation, Eleanor and the other winners were taken on a tour of the Palace of Westminster by Mr Sheerman, which included The Terrace, overlooking the River Thames.

 

Eleanor said:

It was a really exciting day out in London and I will never forget it.

I met a lot of very interesting people who all work in Parliament to make laws to improve safety, as well as raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

 

 

 

Ashville Junior School headteacher Simon Bailey said:

We are absolutely delighted for Eleanor and her success in winning this gas safety competition.

Before penning her poem she thoroughly researched the subject. The poem is fantastic. It’s incredibly clever and a must-read for everyone.

In four verses spells out the dangers of carbon monoxide and how to avoid falling victim to its deadly, odourless clutches.

 

 

The Invisible Monster by Eleanor Grattoni-May

There’s a monster out there,
That cannot be seen,
The silent killer,
You’ll know where he’s been.

Creeping under doors,
Like an invisible ghost,
Never to be heard,
Taking those loved the most.

Keep the monsters away,
Be warned, be aware,
Anything that burns,
Needs plenty of air.

Test fires, boilers and stoves
With a gas inspector,
Keep the monster away,
Buy a CO DETECTOR!!

 

Lee Smith, station manager at Harrogate:

Carbon Monoxide can result from burning all fossil fuels, not just from gas fires and boilers. If you have a gas appliance or a it is important to ensure rooms are ventilated, chimneys and flues are regularly swept by a competent sweep and that boilers and heating systems and appliances are installed, maintained and regularly serviced by a competent engineer.

We would recommend purchasing a carbon monoxide and installing it in your house in line with the manufacturer’s instructions.

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Checking...

Ouch! There was a server error.
Retry »

Sending message...

Tell us what's going on...

Know about a local news item or event, then let us know by filling the form in now

Attach an image (Max 1M)