North Ferriby v Harrogate Town AFC match report

14 February 2016

Lloyd Kerry’s 27th minute strike, thanks to a perfect cross and assist by Jordan Thewlis, sealed the points for Town today, in a scrappy, well earned, clinical 1-0 win at North Ferriby United.

The win took us level on points with North Ferriby, and AFC Fylde and up to 4th place in the play offs, crucially with a game in hand over North Ferriby, and 3 games in hand over 5th place Boston United.

Solihull Moors moved 7 points clear at the top of the league, who we also have a game in hand over. Nuneaton are 6th, 2 points behind Town, who we also have 2 games in hand over.

With Town’s traveling support in full voice, and the good news that Danny Ellis, Dave McGurk, Warren Burrell and Lloyd Kerry all back from injury, Town took the pitch looking hungry and fighting fit, ready for the game ahead.

McGurk started on the bench, with Nat Brown starting and new signing Mason Warren making his debut due to Louie Swain’s 3 match suspension. Paul Thirlwell’s injury moved Warren Burrell into the no.4 shirt, with Jordan Thewlis starting in no.10


Town’s first attack happened in the 3rd minute of the match, when Town won a corner, Brendon Daniels stepped up and found an advancing Jordan Thewlis, his strike on goal well blocked for a second corner, which was cleared straight away by Ferriby.

Jordan Thewlis looked to have won a penalty on the 8th minute when he was brought down in the box, however the Referee seemingly didn’t see it, and waved the match on, much to the disapproval of Town’s strong traveling support.
North Ferriby was able to counter quickly and launched forward in the 10th minute, but Peter Crook pulled off a stunning save with his legs to lock out the attempt.

In the 16th minute, Town pressured hard and Lloyd Kerry managed to outjump the huge Tom Denton, much to the amazement of the big Ferriby man.

With both sides countering each other well and locking horns in attack, neither side seemed to have the cutting edge to take the lead, that was until the 27th minute.

Paul Clayton played the perfect ball onto Jordan Thewlis, who himself picked out Lloyd Kerry, Kerry smashing the ball into the back of the net to give Town the opening 1-0 lead, Clayton jumping into the Town’s traveling supporters to celebrate.


This seemed to boost Town who launched forward and in the 36th minute, Warren Burrell played a beauty of a ball down the line to Jack Emmett, before the Ferriby keeper claimed the ball with his gloves.

In the 40th minute, Jordan Thewlis again ran through on goal, but his shot was blocked by the Ferriby keeper, who was really keeping Ferriby in the match at this point.

The resulting block lead to a corner for Town, Brendon Daniels once again crossing the ball in, and finding Paul Clayton, who battles well with a Ferriby defender, the ball ending up over the bar.

Drama in the 44th minute when Ferriby themselves won a free kick, the resulting kick saw several chances for Ferriby to score, before Town managed to clear the ball and crucially keep their 1-0 lead at half time.

The opening minutes of the second half saw Ferriby looking for a quick goal, with a succession of free kicks and corners, each of them well cleared and saved by Peter Crook, marshalled well by Lewis Turner in defence.

In the 53rd minute though, Jordan Thewlis once again laid on the perfect assist to Lloyd Kerry, who drilled the shot straight at goal, but was saved well in the end by the Ferriby keeper.


Moments later, Paul Clayton saw his effort go over the bar from heading shot on goal, Danny Ellis also heading over the bar from the result of a corner.

The counter saw Warren Burrell brilliantly defend against a Ferriby attack, as both sides put on a display of end to end football for both sets of supporters. Towns traveling support really liven up the North Ferriby ground with plenty of song and cheer.

2 very close attempts on goal in 2 quick minutes saw Town try to build on their slim lead, Daniels with a cross in to Clayton, who just misses the target, and a sublime back heal cross by Jordan Thewlis to Jack Emmett, which lead to a throw in from the attempted cross in.

On the 63rd minute, Jack Emmett came off for Joe Colbeck, as Town look to strengthen the lead and defence. Tom Denton coming close for Ferriby as Town adjusted the formation.

Brendon Daniels made way from Tom Platt on the 72nd minute, when Ferriby pressure looked to be causing a few problems.

Town held on well and claimed all 3 points, running down the clock and sealing  victory in front of an impressive 80 traveling supporters at Ferriby.

the closing minutes of the match saw  a spirited displayed by Ferriby, who tried everything to get back into the match, including the late inclusion of former Town players Ryan Kendall and Adam Bolder.

The well battled, well earned win saw Town level up on points with Ferriby with the play offs now looking to be battle between 6 teams.

Town again take to the road on Tuesday evening when they attempt for the 4th time to play Stalybridge Celtic, after the recent rearranged matches was postponed a few times due to the heavy rain.

A Win on Tuesday night could see us reach 2nd place in the league and within touching distance of 1st.
Match report by Harrison

Photography by Craig Hurle


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.



Go toTop