Harrogate Town v AFC Fylde match report

25 November 2015

AFC Fylde twice came from behind to deny Town all three points, in the promotion clash at the CNG Stadium.
Jordan Thewlis replaced Jerry Yates because Rotherham hadn’t completed the papers for the loan extension for Yates.

Harrogate dominated the first twenty minutes,but only had one goal to show for their superiority,when in the eighth minute Thewlis headed in a Lewis Turner cross after good build up play between Lloyd Kerry, Paul Thirlwell and Joe Colbeck.

Fylde keeper, Ben Hinchcliffe was working overtime to keep out Town,making good saves from Brendan Danies and Turner.

As the Town onslaught slackened,the “Coasters”began to threaten.An excellent run and cross from the left by Matty Hughes saw Danny Rowe miss his kick under pressure from Luke Shiels and Peter Crook then blocked from Rowe as the Town defence failed to clear.

Louis Swain was posing a threat down the left wing and from one of his crosses, Dominic Knowles headed in,only to be denied by an offside flag.

Dion Charles had a shot blocked after another fine run by Hughes,but it was Harrogate who finished the half the stronger as Daniels forced a diving save from Hinchcliffe.

The first chance of the second half fell to Fylde after a Daniels foul on Sam Finley,but sub Tom Hannigan shot straight at Crook.

Danny Ellis then pushed forward to head a Daniels corner on to the roof of the net,but soon afterwards limped off injured to be replaced by Matt Bloomer.

Unfortunately,after fiftysix minutes Town suffered a self inflicted wound.

A long ball out of defence appeared to pose little danger as Rowe was attended by two Town defenders,but an ill judged rush out of goal by Crook saw Rowe fire into an empty net.

The shock to the home fans barely had time to subside than Town were back in front.

Daniels was fouled twentyfive yards out and he took the resulting free kick himself, producing a rocket of a shot round the wall,leaving Hinchcliffe grasping at thin air.

Visiting skipper,Richie Barker, fired over from twentyfive yards,while at the other end, Knowles went close with an header from a Turner centre.

Jack Emmett and Cecil Nyoni replaced Thewlis and Daniels after seventyfive minutes,but Town suffered a cruel blow three minutes later, when Swain limped off injured, leaving Town to face a rampant Fylde with only ten men.

With just seven minutes left, Town’s hopes of victory were dashed when Danny Rowe cut in from the left and beat Crook with a low cross shot into the far corner.

Town safely negotiated the remaining seven minutes, plus five minutes added time, to gain a creditable draw.

1 Crook, 2 Turner, 3 Swain, 4 Thirlwell, 5 Shiels, 6 Ellis (c),(Bloomer 55), 7 Colbeck, 8 Kerry, 9 Thewlis ( Nyoni 75), 10 Knowles, 11 Daniels (Emmett 75).
Unused subs, 15 Clayton,17 Gascoigne Bookings nil
Scorers,Thewlis 8,Daniels 59. Man of the Match Thewlis Att.416
By John Harrison

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.



Go toTop