Harrogate Borough Council

Can you act as independent person to promote high standards amongst councillors?

22 May 2015

Harrogate Borough Council is looking for a member of the public to act as an Independent Person to assist with promoting and maintaining high standards of conduct amongst councillors.

The Council has a code of conduct and complaints procedure which sets out what is expected of councillors and how complaints will be dealt with. It covers both Harrogate Council and the city, town and parish councils within the district.  If a complaint is made that a councillor has failed to comply with the code, the views of an Independent Person can be sought before a decision is made.

Harrogate Borough Council is looking for an Independent Person who can interpret the code of conduct, balance differing views and bring an independent and informed perspective to the investigation process.

This position attracts an allowance plus reasonable expenses. The allowance is currently £1,364 per annum, but as with all allowances this will subject to review.  The Independent Person would be required to attend occasional meetings at the Council Offices in Harrogate.

A copy of the job and person specifications can be found at:

Personal Specification

Job Description

Anyone interested in applying for the position of Independent Person is invited to contact Bernice Elgot for more information on 01423 500 600 ext 58248; or email bernice.elgot@harrogate.gov.uk; or by writing to Bernice Elgot, Harrogate Borough Council, Crescent Gardens, Harrogate, HG1 2SG.

Applications by way of covering letter and CV should be submitted by Monday 22 June 2015.  Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview on Monday 29 June 2015.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.



Go toTop