The event, now in its second year, is organised by Harrogate Nova Cycling Club and will take place on 1 January 2015 featuring off road cycle racing for all ages and abilities.
The day starts with racing for 12 to 16 year olds and novice adults at 10:30, followed by under 12s under 10s and under 8’s at 11:30 am before getting into the serious racing at 12:30, when male and female riders, including national champion and commonwealth mountain biker Paul Oldham, will be showing us how it’s done!
- Harrogate Nova Cycling Club is the oldest cycling club in the town (established in 1971) and has over 200 members of all ages
- The club organises a number of events and rides throughout the year including the increasingly popular evening time trial league during the summer. For more details – and how to join see www.harrogatenova.com
Cyclocross is the fastest growing branch of cycle sport in the UK, it is ridden off-road and consists of riding on different surfaces including grass and through woods, and at Ripley Castle the route will also include the castle terrace and courtyard.
If you want to give it a go then just turn up with your helmet and bike, as long as it is suitable for off-roading and register at least 45 minutes before the race start.
Race director Steve Smales said: We are all thrilled to be promoting Ripley Castle CycloCross again. Building on the success of last year’s event, we have got another exciting course with some unique features in a great location and with some of Britain’s top cyclocross riders taking part, it promises to be an exhilarating days racing.
We are also keen to offer races for children and novice adults to provide the chance for everyone to experience cyclocross either as a rider or a spectator.
Timetable of races:
- Youth race (12-16) (30 mins) @ 10:30am
- Haggis Dash – Mums, Dads and novice riders (30mins) @ 10:30am
- Under 10’s and under 12’s (15mins) @ 11:30am
- Male Vets 40 – 49 and over 50’s and Women’s race (45 mins) @ 12:30pm
- Under 40’s and Juniors (17-23) race (1 hour) @2:00pm
Harrogate Nova Cycling Club will be running a race skills training session for under 16s who would like to try their hand at racing. The session will be run by British Cycling coaches at Killinghall Moor Country Park on Sunday 14th December at 2pm and repeated on Monday 29th December at 1pm – for further information or to book a place please contact the club by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Castle grounds will be free to enter on the day for spectators and Ripley Castle Tearooms will be serving hot food and drinks.
The village car park will be open at 09:00. Dogs are welcome but must be kept on a lead.
For further details please see www.ripleycastlecx.org.uk Follow us on twitter @RipleyCastleCX and on facebook – www.facebook.com/pages/Ripley-Castle-Cyclocross-01012014/412587118846572?fref=ts