North Ferriby 3 – 2 Harrogate Town

20 April 2014

Town second half goals by league leaders North Ferriby United gave them a narrow victory over a spirited Harrogate Town.
An foul by Anton Brown on Liam King gave Jamie Yates an early opportunity,but Craig Macgillivray made a superb save to turn the ball for a corner.
Yates then turned provider with a cross to the far post ,however KIng placed his header wide.
Crosses from Dom Rowe and Liam Hardy and a free kick by Dan Clayton were cleared by the home defence,but Brown,Hardy and Matt Heath all found their way into Referee Brookes’ book
as Ferriby began to apply the pressure.
On 22 minutes,MacGillivray was adjudged to have fouled Yates as they contested a through ball and the prolific,Nathan Jarman,coolly despatched the resulting penalty to put Ferriby in front.
Town were stung into action and within four minutes they were level.
Ashley Worsfold picked up Rowe’s pass and hammered an unstoppable shot past Adam Nicklin from the edge of the area.
Town almost took the lead on 35 minutes when a Dave Merris free kick rebounded to Brown, but Nicklin manage to save with his feet.
It was, however, only a stay of execution, because two minutes later, Brown collected the ball from a throw in and beat Nicklin with a dipping thirty yard surprise shot.
Alex Metcalfe replaced Brown at half time and Town continued to take the game to the “Villagers”.
Hardy shot wide from Worsfold’s pass and Clayton sidefooted over the top after good work by Metcalfe and Hardy.
But it was Ferriby who were next onto the scoresheet,when on 64 minutes,Mark Gray rose at the far post to head in Danny Clarke’s free kick.
Five minutes later, Ferriby took the lead when sub, Nathan Peat’s cross was chested down by Jarman to Anthony Wilson who shot past MacGillivray.
Town,prompted by Dwayne Samuels and Adam Bolder, began to catch Ferriby on the break.
Nicklin dived bravely at Worsfold’s feet to thwart the striker,then did well to block Hardy’s powerful cross shot.
Hardy then broke through the middle but a superbly timed,last ditch tackle by Danny Hone rescued Ferriby.
Michael Woods and Conor Sellars were late substitutes for Town as they pushed for a late equaliser.
As the game entered stoppage time, Town fashioned one last chance.
Hardy made ground down the left, drew the defence and squared to Worsfold,but Nicklin spread himself to make a magnificent save to preserve Ferriby’s lead.
1 MacGillivray, 2 Samuels, 3 Merris, 4 Brown (Metcalfe 45), 5 Bloomer, 6 Heath (c), 7 Rowe (Woods 80), 8 Bolder, 9 Worsfold, 10 Hardy, 11 Clayton (Sellars 86).
Unused subs, 12 Mallory, 14 Nelthorpe Bookings Brown,Heath, Hardy.
Scorers Worsfold 26, Brown 37. Town M of M Worsfold. Att.663
By John Harrison

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.



Go toTop