Harrogate Town 4 – 0 Boston United

23 February 2014

In one of the most bizarre games seen at the CNG Stadium in many years, Harrogate ran out comfortable winners over Boston United. With only four minutes on the clock,Town’s Ashley Worsfold was denied a clear goal scoring opportunity when he was brought down by Carl Piergianni as he chased Craig Nelthorpe’s through ball.

Referee Marc Ackerman incured the wrath of Boston’s large travelling support as he showed the Boston defender a straight red card. The Pilgrims soon recovered their composure and Adam Nowakowski was called upon to make two good defensive headers to clear Town’s lines. Craig MacGillivray was next in action when he had to tip the ball over the bar as Ricky Miller cut in from the right wing and unleashed a vicious rising drive.

Unfortunately,Boston suffered a hammer blow after sixteen minutes when keeper Lewis King raced out of his area and handled Worsfold’s shot,earning himself an instant dismissal. Five minutes later, Town took the lead when Steve Mallory’s deep corner was headed back across goal by Nowakowski and Chris Hall nodded in from close range. Hall then had a great chance to make it two when Renee Steer miskicked Dan Clayton’s centre, but he blazed well over the top. Matt Heath turned a Clayton free kick narrowly wide of the near post as Town threatened to run riot,but it was Boston’s nine men who finished the half the stronger. Nowakowski had to clear from Liam Agnew, and ex Townie,Ian Ross caused consternation with two dangerous free kicks. However two goals early in the second half made the game safe for Town. Nowakowski found Mallory in space on the right wing and his cross to the far post was headed over replacement keeper, Sam Vince,by Chris Hall.

Ten minutes later Shane Killock foraged forward to head in a Dan Clayton corner to make it 3-0. Boston who had used all their substitutes,were reduced to seven men when Jamie McGhee had to leave the field after a strong Dave Merris tackle and he was followed soon after by Renee Steer,who was injured bravely blocking a run by Joe Ironside. With ten minutes left, Dominic Rowe completed the scoring when his low drive found the corner of the net. There was consternation in the Town ranks as they realised that the game would be abandoned if Boston went down to six men,and although Stefan Galinski was injured he soldiered on, and full time arrived without further mishaps. Town, 1 MacGillivray, 2 Samuels, 3 Merris, 4 Nelthorpe, 5 Heath, 6 Killock (c), 7 Mallory,(Smith 81 mins),8 Nowakowski, 9 Hall, 10 Worsfold (Rowe 65), 11 Clayton (Ironside 65). Unused subs, 15 Brown, 16 Bloomer. Bookings nil Scorers Hall 21,47,Killock 56,Rowe 80. Att.632 By John Harrison.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.



Go toTop