The best of the region’s farming will be recognized at the 2013 Great Yorkshire Show when the regional winners and overall champion of the 2013 Tye Trophy competition will be announced. The competition is organised by the Yorkshire Agricultural Society and recognises good farming practice in Yorkshire and the North East. What the judges are looking for in particular are enterprises where good conservation and environmental practice are an integral part of a commercial operation.
On the second day of the flagship farming event, Wednesday 10 July, the winners will be announced, and trophies will be awarded by the Society’s President, The Hon Mrs Susan Cunliffe- Lister. The five regional winners – from West & South Yorkshire, Northumberland, East Yorkshire, Tyne Tees and North Yorkshire will each receive £200 and individual trophies whilst the overall champion will be presented with a further cheque for £200 and the prestigious Tye Trophy.
Charles Mills, Chairman of the Judging Panel said:
In all the years I’ve been involved in judging this competition, this year’s regional winners are amongst the finest. What struck us was that not only do we have enterprises that combine good conservation practices with running a commercial business, but a host of new jobs have also been created. In this economic climate that is very much to be applauded. Anyone of the five could be the overall champion, the standard is truly outstanding.
The presentation of the Tye Trophy Awards is one of the highlights of the Great Yorkshire Show which is a shop window for the agricultural industry, showcasing the best of the best across the competitive classes. Dates for the show are Tuesday 9 – Thursday 11 July when around 130,000 visitors are expected to attend.
- North Yorkshire Area Winner: – Mr John Harrison, Duggleby High Barn Farm, The Cobblers, Settrington, York
- East Yorkshire Area Winner – Mr Robert Rook, Weighton Wold Farm, Market Weighton, York
- Northumberland Winner – Mr Tom Fairfax, Mindrum Farm, Wooler, Northumberland
- Tyne Tees Area – Mr Gordon Tweddle, Acorn Dairy, Archdeacon Newton, Darlington, Co. Durham
- West & South Yorkshire Winner – Mr David Nicholson, Cannon Hall Farm, Bark House Lane, Cawthorne, Barnsley