Plans are underway for family celebrations on the Stray for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
On the 2 & 3 June 2012 from 12 until 6pm there will be food and entertainment on the Stray. You can bring along your own picnic or enjoy the traditional ox Roast that will take place.
Being led by the Jubilee Committee; the highlight of the forthcoming celebration is the spectacular recreation of the ox roasting, which took place on the Stray in 1887.
The Queen has granted special permission for a fire pit to be dug in the Stray, land that remains in the ownership of the Duchy of Lancaster. Also, Weeton’s will be donating an ox from its own heard of Red Polls, which is an offspring of Appleton Fourpence from the Sandringham Estate, the country retreat of HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.
The Stray will be a hive of food stalls and family-friendly entertainment with all proceeds being donated to Saint Michael’s Hospice.
Help is needed to make this event happen.
- Stewards – can you free up 2 hours between 10am and 8pm on either of the days.
- Music – can you perform or help organise ? Are you part of a band perhaps or a marching or school band ?
- Entertainments – are you a children’s entertainer ?
- Logo/ advertising – a logo is needed for the event to help promote it on on-line. Are you a graphic designer ?
- Sponsorship – this event is not being supported financially by Harrogate Borough Council and there has already been significant costs with insurances and a Papier-mâché to re-enact the traditional burning. Can you provide sponsorship for this event perhaps ?