Harrogate Town FC

Worcester City 3 – Harrogate Town 2

23 October 2011

Harrogate Town FCIt took a goal deep into stoppage time to prevent injury and suspension hit Harrogate Town leaving Worcester with a point.

Town made a bright start with debutant Luke Dean and Peter Bore both testing James Dormand in the home goal.

But it was Worcester who took the lead against the run of play. After twenty minutes Luke Corbett latched on to a free kick, turned the defence and shot past Zac Jones.

Town retaliated and a superb turn and cross by Will Turl was volleyed in by Bore only to be ruled out for offside.

Craig Radcliffe was causing the home defence problems down the left, and from one run his centre rolled agonisingly across the face of the goal.

An excellent move between Radcliffe and Dean set up Alex Meecham,however his curling shot just missed the far post.

Within a minute of the second half Meecham found Radcliffe whose centre was helped across goal by Turl and Jonny Allan chested home from close range for the equaliser.

Will Turl rounded keeper Dormand but his shot was scrambled away for a corner as Town continued to press forward.

On the hour it was Worcester who regained the lead,when after a huge goalmouth scramble,in which they hit the post and the bar,Mike Symons stabbed home.

Town roared back and Turl’s header from a Radcliffe free kick forced Dormand into a fine diving save.

Paul Brayson replaced Allan,but it was the impressive Dean who pulled Town level, when he coolly beat his marker and shot into the far corner, after Radcliffe’s corner had fallen to him.

Lack of match practice began to tell as Town found it hard to hold Worcester’s late onslaught.

In an explosive finish, Zac Jones was sent off for bringing down Corbett.Skipper Paul Heckingbottom took over in goal and immediately covered himself in glory when he saved Corbett’s penalty.

Town still posed a threat and sub Brayson broke through, only to be called back by Referee Sarah Garrett who failed to apply the advantage rule.

Unfortunately, Town once again succumbed to a goal in added time, when Matt Birley picked up a weak clearance and drove home into the corner to give Heckingbottom no chance.


John Harrison

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.



Go toTop