Harrogate Town 2 Blyth Spartans 2

Please share the news

Town 2 Blyth Spartans 2 Att 225

A tremendous second half fightback rescued a point for .who fielded loan signings Oliver Forsyth and former favourite Richard Marshall.

The match was proceeded by a minutes silence in memory of popular clubman Ernest Hubbard.

Harrogate made the early running with Ciaran Toner shooting across goal and Wayne Phillips having a shot diverted for a corner. ,but

Town suffered an early blow when Toner sustained an injury and had to be replaced by Steve Bowey.

On the quarter hour, Spartans took the lead against the run of play with a stunning thirty yard drive from Stephen Turnbull.

This kick started the visitors, and Town keeper Chris Elliott did well to block a point blank effort from Paul Grayson.

Yet, just before the break a defensive lapse by Spartans saw Graeme Armstrong’s snap shot turned round the post by Dan Lowson.

Eleven minutes into the second half Alan White’s flick header from a corner at the near post appeared to put the game beyond Town,but the introduction of subs Chibuzor Chilaka and Gary King gave Town a new lease of life.

A touchline free kick from Craig James into the top corner opened Town’s account,then three minutes later a superb move between Marshall and Martin Foster ended with Armstrong heading in the latter’s cross,only for it to be ruled out for pushing.

With Spartans visibly wilting, Lowson saved well from King after he had been sent clear by Chilaka,but it was only a stay of execution for Blyth as Marshall was blocked on the edge of the area,but the ball broke to Armstrong who fired into the far corner.

Although both Chilaka and King both spurned chances to give Town the lead,it was Blyth’s prolific skipper Brayson who almost scored when his shot came back off the post.

The excitement continued with Armstrong almost scoring the goal of the season as he blasted Dom Roma’s cross against the , and

Marshall causing panic in the visiting defence as his well placed lob hit the post.

However,in the end both sides had to be content with a point apiece.

John Harrison,

Harrogate Town F C.


Please share the news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Default thumbnail
Previous Story

World War Two hand grenade was safely detonated in York (video attached)

Default thumbnail
Next Story

Death of walker in Wensleydale