New intake of Junior Soldiers arrives at Harrogate

Hundreds of teenagers have arrived in Harrogate today (Sunday 9 January) to start their military training at the town’s Army Foundation College.

Over 400 Junior Soldiers turned up at Uniacke Barracks on Penny Pot Lane to begin their careers in the Forces.

The youngest soldiers in the British Army come to Harrogate from across the UK and are destined to join the infantry, Royal Artillery, Royal Armoured Corps and Royal Logistic Corps.

The sixteen and seventeen-year-olds will now begin a programme of military, leadership, educational and vocational training at the College and will finish the 42-week course in December.

16-year-old Junior Soldier Brendon Graham from Bradford said:

“I’m really excited and a little nervous.  I realise it’s going to be tough, but I’m looking forward to the adventure.”

Junior Soldier Jasmin Adams added:

“I’m not scared at all.  People telling me what to do – it’s just like being with my dad at home.”

Last year the Army Foundation College celebrated its best educational results in ten years – with record achievement rates in the level two diploma in information technology. There was also a pass mark of 89.7 per cent in the level two qualification in maths and English.

A new recruit arrives at Penny Pot Lane with his parents – and brand new ironing board
recruits
Some of the Junior Soldiers that arrived in Harrogate by train
The Junior Soldiers completed arrival paperwork with their new platoon staff
Commanding Officer Lt Col Steve Ocock spoke to the new Junior Soldiers with their parents in the College’s Robertson Theatre
Time to say goodbye – Saying farewell to friends and relatives

Photographs by Timothy Cook Photography

An email each day and you can easily manage your FREE subscription

8 thoughts on “New intake of Junior Soldiers arrives at Harrogate

• 9 January 2011 at 8:43pm

what a fantastic place the staff are very approachable, i was a bit wary for my grandson but soon realised he would be in very capable hands, we did shed a few tears but so did i when i joined the army 40 years ago.

• 10 January 2011 at 7:13am

I agree with the last post great place great staff, i was so worried it was nice to talk to the young soldiers from the last intake who were showing all the newbies the equipment, they were good examples and put my mind at ease by telling me of some of their experiences. It didn’t stop my heart breaking when we had to say goodbye, but i’m gonna have to man up just like my son. Good Luck Intake 26.

• 11 January 2011 at 8:07pm

my boyfriend was in that group of young men and i am so pround of him and i miss him

• 11 January 2011 at 11:26pm

A really long journey but with a great welcome at the end of it thanks to the staff of the college. The staff are relaxed, the previous intake very helpful so making the whole experience excellent. Good Luck Intake 26, Many thanks Intake 25. Missing you already.

• 15 January 2011 at 1:01pm

My son started training on 9th Jan not heard from him yet but soo proud miss him lots already good luck to all !!

• 16 January 2011 at 9:52am

No news is good news Tracie? My son rings every night, I have run out of things to say to him! They have new hair cuts, trainers, tracksuit, boots and combats. They are off to ASDA today, God help them – Asda that is!

• 16 January 2011 at 3:09pm

I have served for 26 years in the RAF, 7 years in the TA before that and I was amazed at the facilities. The youngsters showing off their equipment and chatting to my sons were very confident, polite, a credit to the College and themselves. I am delighted that he has chosen to go there and I support his choice of career. Saying all that as a dad I was a bit teary when I left him there, I miss him and my eldest lad who has just joined 1 Scots Royal Regiment of Scotland from Catterick after training. I wish all the youngsters the very best as I believe that the AFC(H) is absolutely top notch and I should know I also attended Military Boarding School many, many years ago! ;0)

• 18 January 2011 at 7:53pm

my son started on the 9th january he calls evry night nor coping well but i keep telling him how proud i am of him i just hope he is ok he also went to asda on sunday lol