Some of North Yorkshire’s libraries are opening their doors for technology taster events as part of the Spring Online campaign and Silver Surfers Day 2012 which take place between April 23rd to 27th.
Over eight million people nationally, many aged over 50, continue to be excluded from large parts of everyday life and information essential to health and wellbeing, because they do not have access to a computer and cannot go online.
Spring Online is one of the biggest campaigns each year to give older people and less confident users experience of using the internet. North Yorkshire County Council is also supporting Go ON North Yorkshire, a long term campaign to get more people online as well as increase the use of the internet for those already connected.
Last year more than 2,500 organisations opened their doors as part of Spring Online – from cafes and pubs to classrooms and libraries to hold activities from Wii sessions to online gardening parties. Library events around the county supporting Spring On Line this year are:
- Skipton library is holding IT taster sessions on April 17th and 24th
- Starbeck library young volunteers are holding one to one IT sessions for older people on Tuesday April 24th and Friday April 27 th between 4 and 5 pm and on Tuesday and Friday between 4 and 5 in the weeks following
- Pickering library is holding online support drop-ins on Tuesday 24 th and Thursday 26 th April between 5 and 7
- Scarborough library is holding an “Any questions?” computer drop in session Thursday 26th April between 2 and 4.30
- Malton library ‘absolute beginners’ computer session 10 and 12 Thursday 26 th April
- Sherburn library computer club is on Wed 25 th April between10 and 12
- Thirsk library Silver Surfers Club meets Wed 25 th April between 1and 3
- Richmond library is holding and Introduction to Word session Wed 25th April between 2 and 4.30
- Selby library is running an Absolute Beginners IT Taster Session Friday 27 th April between 10and 12
- Tadcaster library Absolute Beginners IT Taster Session is on Friday 27 th April between 2 and 4.
- Filey library is holding “Being part of history on line” on Thursday 10 th May between 10 and 12.