Hear all about it!
Experience the sights and sounds of Ripon past, present and future at a fun free family friendly event taking place at venues across the city on Saturday 12 March 2016!
- Venues across Ripon organise free activities
- Saturday 12 March, 2016
Tourist attractions, local charities, community organisations and fire and police services across Ripon have put together a packed programme of activities to both interest, entertain and inform!
The market square and various venues across the town are opening their doors on Saturday 12 March between 11am to 4pm – so pop along to take a look at what’s going on.
Hunt the Hornblower on a trail around the city and visit the market square where you can:
- Climb aboard a fire engine
- Watch the North Yorkshire fire services car cutting demonstration
- Take a look inside police vehicles
- Chat to the ambulance service and first responders
- Find out more about dog micro chipping from the local dog warden
Ripon’s three museums, are opening up for free with a fun range of activities for all: follow the Victorian punishment trail and have a go at fingerprinting at the Prison and Police Museum, at the Workhouse Museum experience a taste of Master and Matron’s chores with boot polishing, sweeping and laundry tasks, as well as finding out what support is available from local groups ranging from credit unions to hearing loss. Then have a well earned piece of cake in their pop up café!
Other activities around the city include:
- Sample sensory baking, pot a scented plant, browse vintage stalls and create 3D art at Community House, plus interactive story-telling and music for younger children.
- Take part in music/drumming workshops and hop aboard the youth bus to use the mixing decks (Community House)
- Discover more about Ripon Cathedral whose history dates back to the 7th century with tour guides on hand, you may even get a sneak preview of the Harrogate Choral Society rehearsing for their evening performance.
- Have a jig with the Ripon Morris Dancers (12 noon Ripon Cathedral and 1.30pm Ripon Workhouse Museum).
- Find out more about Ripon’s collection of silverware and look inside the council chamber (silverware talks at 11.30 and 2.30pm).
- Have a free health MOT at Ripon Library courtesy of the Sports Development Team (11am-1pm), also at the library are tots storytime sessions (11am and 1pm) as well as arts and crafts fun and giant games.
- Chat to local support organisations, from Dementia Forward to Harrogate and Ripon Volunteer centres throughout the day.
The Sights and Sounds…My Community, My Ripon! Event is the 5th ‘My Community Event, the biggest one yet! Organised by the Ripon Minster ‘My Neighbourhood’ Project team, which comprises of local public and voluntary organisations.
All are welcome, free maps and programmes will be available to pick up on the day or visit www.riponmuseums.co.uk/events or by phoning 01765 690799.