As a result of the collision the front seat passenger of the Ford Focus a 28-year-old man received serious injuries and had to cut free by the fire service.
He was taken to James Cook hospital where he remains in a serious condition.
The driver of the Toyota sustained minor injuries and was treated at the scene by paramedics. The road was closed for just over four hours to allow officers to examine the scene.
- At approximately 00:15am on Wednesday 17 February 2016
- On the A684 at Brompton near Northallerton
- Outside the entrance to the cemetery
- Black Ford Focus travelling from the direction of Northallerton
- Blue Toyota 4×4 travelling towards Northallerton
The driver of the Ford Focus, a 27-year-old man, was also taken to the same hospital for treatment but his condition is not believed to be serious.
Police would like to speak to anyone who witnessed the collision or anyone who saw either vehicle being driven along the A684 in the minutes before the collision. Witnesses are asked to contact North Yorkshire Police on 101 and ask for Don Wright. Please quote log number 6 of 17/02/16.