A single-owner collection of seventeen iconic Japanese classic motorcycles spanning the 1980s and 1990s are headed for Bonhams Harrogate sale, taking place 12 November.
The collection highlights the technological excellence of Japanese engineering, including important models from the stables of Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha. The machines have been subject to comprehensive detailed restoration and, now in original specification, fulfill the owner’s boyhood dreams of one day owning such legendary motorcycles.
James Stensel, Head of Bonhams Motorcycle Department said: Stripped and rebuilt to factory standard, with original parts carefully sourced from all over the world, the collection is a great example of an enthusiast’s passion for collecting and restoration.
The Harrogate sale is a personal favourite on the calendar and we’re delighted to be offering such an exciting collection, sharing the owner’s passion for engineering excellence, retro styling and supreme performance.
With over fifty motorcycles (including the seventeen Japanese sports bikes) offered at the upcoming Harrogate Sale, there has never been a better time to enter the world of motorcycle collecting and restoration.
Whether a 1962 BSA 172cc D7 Bantam Super (£600-1,000), a 1956 Matchless 593cc Model G11 Project (£700-900) for the back shed restorer, c.1969 Sprite 405 Trials (£1,800-2,800) for the brave or the 1936 Excelsior 350cc Manxman Racing Motorcycle (£9,500-10,500) for the connoisseur, we have something on offer for almost every enthusiast, rider and budget.
Heading the single-owner collection, a 1984 Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo (£5,000-6,000). One of the most exciting superbikes of the 1980s, the motorcycle boasts 100-plus horsepower at the rear wheel and a top speed of around 140mph.
The owners personal favourite, the 1989 Yamaha FZX750 Fazer (£4,000-5,000) is a capable ‘sports cruiser’, a scaled down version of Yamaha’s outrageous V-Max ‘street dragster’. The heart of the Fazer is Yamaha’s remarkable four-cylinder 20-valve engine, arguably the best in the ‘750’ category in its day, only slightly de-tuned from its specification in the FZ750 sports bike. Measured at the rear wheel, peak power is at 94bhp.
The single-owner collection of classic Japanese motorcycles comprises:
- Lot 31: 1984 Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo £5,000-6,000
- Lot 32: 1986 Kawasaki GPz750R £4,500-5,500
- Lot 33: 1986 Kawasaki 997cc GPz1000RX £3,500-4,500
- Lot 34: 1985 Kawasaki GPZ600R £4,000-5,000
- Lot 35: 1989 Kawasaki GPX600R £3,000-4,000
- Lot 36: 1988 Kawasaki 997cc ZX10 £3,000-4,000
- Lot 37: 1991 Kawasaki GPz900R Ninja £3,200-4,000
- Lot 38: 1991 Kawasaki ZR750 Zephyr £2,500-3,500
- Lot 39: 1993 Kawasaki ZZ-R600 £2,500-3,500
- Lot 40: 1990 Suzuki GSX-R750L ‘Slingshot’ £3,500-4,500
- Lot 41: 1982 Suzuki GS650 Katana £2,500-3,500
- Lot 42: 1984 Suzuki 673cc XN85 Turbo £3,500-4,500
- Lot 43: 1979 Suzuki GS550 £2,500-3,500
- Lot 44: 1980 Honda CB650Z £2,000-3,000
- Lot 45: 1981 Honda CB750K-Z £2,800-3,800
- Lot 46: 1986 Honda VF1000F-II Bol D-Or £4,000-5,000
- Lot 47: 1989 Yamaha FZX750 Fazer £4,000-5,000
Featuring a diverse selection of classic motorcycles and motor cars, Bonhams Harrogate sale will take place on 12 November 2014 at the Yorkshire Event Centre, Harrogate.