Tesco’s are seeking to develop the Skipton public house in Harrogate into a Tesco Express store.
The supermarket chain held a public drop-in session on 24 June 2014 to discuss their plans before they were submitted to Harrogate Borough Council.
The event was held between 4:30pm and 8pm at Bilton Grange Primary School with people being made aware by direct mailing.
The proposals are to develop the main building into a Tesco Express store with a further traffic entrance developed to the site via Bilton Lane, opposite Bilton Grange School. The main building will remain substantially unchanged and will have a typical Tesco Express frontage.
Tesco say that the event was well attended and residents expressed a range of views.
Main points from Tesco:
- In response to residents’ queries we will be looking at alternative access arrangements from Bilton Lane.
- Improved landscaping around the site in response to suggestions made by residents.
- The pub building will not change dramatically, its appearance will be improved and Tesco signage will be added.
- Following the changes to be made in response to residents’ suggestions, they will submit minor works planning applications to the Council in around one week.
- If plans are approved, the store will employ up to 20 people and colleagues will work with the community.
- The One Stop, which is part of Tesco, is fully committed to continuing to serve the local community from the store on Crab Lane, in addition to the proposed new Tesco Express convenience store.
Tesco spokesperson, Mark Thomas said: I’m grateful to everyone that attended our public consultation and shared their views on our proposals.
vWe will take these views into consideration as we prepare our applications, particularly around an alternative arrangement for access from Bilton Lane, improving the landscaping around the store and providing car parking for the bowling club.
Our store will be a good neighbour to the local community and I thank everyone for their comments on our plans.
UKIP Bilton County Coun David Simister said: I have a number of questions that I will be putting to Tesco when I meet them in a couple of weeks time.
Concerns I will be raising include increased traffic on both Bilton Lane and Skipton Lane and impact this store may have on the superb local shops in the area.
Want to have your say?
Add your comments to this news item or
Tesco have asked for comment by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
It will also be possible to comment against the planning application with Harrogate Borough Council, once it is made.